MARC Records Help
- Selecting to Download
- Downloading Records
- Exporting MARC Records
- FAQs - MARC Records
Perma-Bound provides Machine Readable Cataloging (MARC) records to all customers interested in receiving them. Perma-Bound.com offers the option to download these records directly from our website. Choose from among MARC 21, US MARC/852 1991, US MARC/941 1991, and MicroLIF Format 1987 record types for both PC and Mac platforms. You can also choose to have your MARC records sent via email or shipped along with the rest of your order on a data disk.
Selecting to Download
MARC records for your orders can be downloaded directly from the My Account page. If you would like to take advantage of this service you may call Perma-Bound at +1 800 637-6581 and speak to a customer care representative, or use our easy, online form to request this change. To access the form:
- Click on the My Information link on the My Account page.
- In the Processing Preferences tab, click on the Complete form link.
- Fill in the form. Make sure to add inside of the area provided that you would like to download your MARC records.
- Click the Submit button.
- Your message will be sent to Perma-Bound and a customer care representative will complete your request. You should also receive a copy of this message for your records.
If you have selected to download your MARC records, they will be available shortly after your order ships. You will receive an email alert to let you know your records are ready for downloading. This email also includes a .pdf file-attachment that lists summary and barcode information for those records. When you next login to Perma-Bound.com, the MARC Records file will appear in the MARC Records area of the My Account page. This area contains a selectable box for each record and three information columns:
- Records - Will list the invoice number, purchase order number, and quantity for that order.
- Date Received - The date Perma-Bound made the record-file available.
The Download/Unzip Process
- Select one of your MARC record-files by clicking on the text for the records you wish to download. Do not click in the box next to the text.
- A separate information window will open, asking if you want
to open the file type "Microlif.zip" or
"Microlif.001" or save it to a disk.
- If, instead of the information window, the page displays Page Cannot Be Displayed call Perma-Bound. A customer care representative will assist you.
- If, instead of the information window, the link changes to a series of letters and numbers, please go to step 6.
- Select "Save to disk" and choose a location. Perma-Bound recommends saving the file to your desktop or My Documents folder. Minimize your browser and go to the newly downloaded file: If your file was a Microlif.001 (or .002, .003, etc.) and NOT a .zip file, skip ahead to step 5.
- If you had a "Microlif.zip" file, unzip the file using
your operating system's decompression program or Winzip (for
assistance, see http://www.winzip.com). Your .zip archive may
include up to three separate files:
- Microlif.001 - Your MARC records
- Fil.001 - Summary information, generally not used
- Vol.001 - Microlif information, generally not used
- Your MARC records are ready to be imported into your library circulation system software. (You are finished with this process.)
- (Continued from Step 2) Click on "My Account" near the top of the Perma-Bound Web Page.
- Return to the MARC Records area of the page and right click on the link corresponding to the set of records you wish to download. You will see a drop-down menu.
- Click on Save Target As.
- Choose a location to save your file to. Perma-Bound recommends saving the file to your desktop or My Documents folder.
- Set File Type (bottom of the new window) to All Files.
- Click on Save.
- Use your MARC system software to incorporate them into your circulation records.
You can delete MARC records once they have been downloaded by
clicking on either the "Delete Checked" or "Delete
All" buttons. In either case you will receive a confirmation
message in a red-outlined box, where you can click on
"Delete" once again to remove the records or
"Cancel" to return to the My Account page.
To use the "Delete Checked" option, select the record set(s) you would like to delete by clicking once in the box next to the record set(s). Click the "Delete Checked" button. Answer the confirmation message. Your unwanted records will be removed from the My Account page.
FAQs - MARC Records
How do I download my MARC records?
First you have to select to download your records as part of a processing preference. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
I have selected to download my MARC records and they are now available - how do I proceed?
Step-by-step instructions can be found here.
I want to download my MARC records but my processing preference is on file - how can I choose this option?
Call us toll free at +1 800 637-6581 to speak with a customer care representative. They will make the necessary changes to your processing preference on file.
I deleted my MARC records by accident but now I need them again - what should I do?
Call us toll free at +1 800 637-6581 to speak with a customer care representative.